Monday, January 10, 2011

Less Than a Week...




It would take me more than a month to type my feelings about my time here at home. I have such mixed sentiments about everything--leaving family and friends again, heading back to Bolivia to embark on a new journey of language classes and volunteer work, adjusting to the North American culture, missing the Ninos kids more than I can describe, and the list continues.

Although there have been more than a few overwhelming moments (shopping in a very busy H&M and hearing people discussing the purchase of expensive material items when I know the poverty that exists in third world countries like Bolivia), home has been great! It has been so amazing to spend time with my family and friends. I have posted a few pictures from my time at home! (Erica, I wish you were in these!!!!) It has been the little moments-smiles and laughs, hugs and kisses, conversations and jokes that have made the long trek back to the States so worth it! I was also able to watch a great weekend of FOOTBALL with my dad, which brought back numerous memories from my childhood! As my dad and I watched nervously, the Packers narrowly defeated the Eagles, and Marshawn Lynch, an Oakland native and Cal star, had an amazing game as the Seahawks beat the Saints. The food I have had while being home has been more than amazing! I think I have been eating non-stop, which I guess is okay.

This week I have lots of appointments and packing to do, but I am looking forward to beginning classes at the Maryknoll Language Institute. But, more than anything, I am looking forward to giving and receiving huge hugs from the kids I work with! I have missed seeing them almost everyday! I was talking with a family friend who commented that I am influencing and changing the lives of these kids through my volunteer work. But, as I told her, I think I am receiving more than I ever can give back! These kids and their stories have changed my life forever, and I am so honored and lucky to be able to spend eight more months with them!

As Friday, January 14th, quickly approaches, I am filled with bitter sweet feelings. Although I have found a niche and a wonderful volunteer opportunity in Bolivia, there will never be any place like home.

No comments:

Post a Comment