Friday, May 25, 2012

"I Don't Have a Mom"

Mother's Day tends to be a difficult day for the boys and the girls of Ninos con Valor. A day dedicated to someone who is supposed to protect you, love you, watch you blossom, grow, and mature with enthusiasm and care is hard for someone who lives in a home and has been scarred and damaged by their mother, their friend, their confidant, their #1 supporter.

 I wish I could bottle all the love, kindness, and patience my mom (And my dad) had for me, and share it and spread it around the world to children who are lacking love, and those who have been damaged and neglected, abused and abandoned.

 I have been accompanying one of the middle girls to school on the bus. Earlier this week, we were chatting, and she sadly leaned over and asked a question. "Tia, Is this Sunday Mother's Day?" It took me by surprise, and I didn't know what to do when I saw the pain, hurt, and sadness on her face. "Yes, this Sunday is Mother's Day," I responded. She turned to look out the window, and sadly said, "I don't have a mom to celebrate with."

 This absolutely shattered my heart. I turned to her, and said, "You may not have a mom, but you have lots of tias who love you so much. And, you have 22 sisters who will be your best friends forever. This may not take the place of a mother, but we love you more than you know, and give you all the support, affection, and love we have in our hearts." She smiled, and said, "You're right, Tia." I only wish I could give her more, but sometimes, words, hugs, and smiles are all I have.

 We got off the bus and walked towards her school. I walked her to the door, and as I was about to leave, she grabbed me and gave me a big hug. "Tia, thanks for everything. I love you," she said in my ear. This was a beautiful, tender moment--something I will never forget.

 Thank you, for reminding me how lucky I am to be a part of your lives--celebrating the exciting moments, laughing at the funny and embarrassing moments, and there to provide a hug and a smile during the rough, sad moments.

No comments:

Post a Comment