Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Goodbye, Bolivia and My Favorite Children

The goodbye party for some of us volunteers at the boys' home--they are too cute! 
Saying goodbye to the girls and the CdP Tias on Sunday--one of the hardest days of my life. 

Sitting here in a hotel in La Paz, the capital of Bolivia, feeling worlds away from the children, the tias, and the staff of Ninos con Valor. As excited as I am to go home, I miss them already, and feel this weird, empty void. The kids of NCV have taught me so much--undying love, endless compassion, true bravery, unconditional love and joy, and helped me reach a new understanding of my religion. I can't imagine my life without this experience, as I have been changed forever. Thank you to the wonderful kids, and the amazing tias and the staff for the most wonderful memories.

Yesterday, we left Cochabamba in the morning, and it was sad looking out the window at the familiar scenery--barking street dogs, women washing clothes and cooking street food, children walking to and from school in their "guardapolvos" (White coats worn to school), and remembering the amazingly beautiful smiles of the NCV kids that have been burned into my mind, my heart, and my soul.

The girls who have school in the afternoon and the boys at the airport with me--what a wonderful surprise!
We arrived at the airport, and I was trying to push down the feelings of sadness while talking to the airline check-in desk. I turned around, and saw Celia, one of my good friends, and a tia at Corazon del Pastor (The girls' home). She talked to me as I walked to pay our airport taxes. As I turned around, I saw the girls and boys walking in holding hands and carrying signs. I started to cry, since I thought I had seen their beautiful faces for the last time the previous day. We spent some time chatting and taking pictures, and I dreaded when the time came to enter the "boarding room." Giving them hugs and kisses, and having them whisper, "Tia, don't leave," broke my heart. These kids have been my little siblings, brought so much laughter, love, and joy to my life, and taught me lessons of the heart over the past two-and-a-half years. However, despite the sadness, it was so wonderful to see their faces and give them hugs one last time. It was just as difficult to say goodbye to the tias--they have become my friends, invited me to holidays and family parties, and helped me with my Spanish and understanding the Bolivian culture. A few of the tias had tears streaming down their faces, and made me promise to return soon.

We arrived in La Paz, and took it easy, as the altitude had affected all of us. After dinner, I called the girls' home for the last time, which was bittersweet. It was wonderful hearing their voices, but made me sad as they asked where I was, what I was doing, and exclaimed that they all missed me. However, the worst part was talking to one of the older girls--over the past 2 years, we have become good friends, and she was the first older girl to open up and share her life with me. She asked where I was and how my parents and I were doing, and as she started to say "I miss you, Tia," she began to cry--my heart literally broke. I told her how much I loved her and missed her, and we exchanged a very tearful goodbye. It was most difficult to hear her, and know I wasn't close enough to give her a hug and a shoulder to cry on.

Today was a little better than yesterday, but I still think of the kids, and tears come to my eyes. It's difficult to imagine that I'm still in the same country as the children, the tias, and the staff, but I feel like I am millions of miles away, in a whole different world. And, this makes me worry about heading home, which puts thousands more miles between us. I only hope the kids will remember me, and that I can return soon to see their smiling, happy faces, and visit the tias and the staff, who have supported me and shown me friendship and support.

Thank you to my Ninos con Valor family for everything--wonderful memories, love and joy, countless hours of laughter and smiles, friendship, etc. I will never forgot my time in Cocha, and will hold every child and every memory in my heart forever.


2 comments:

  1. Hi Megs--

    You have made this journey to Cochabamba such an incredible one--the children's love for you, their vision of their own future, are so incredibly amazing. You have helped bring them hopes and dreams... The smiles on their faces, the light in their eyes, are amazing. We are so proud of you and all that you have accomplished...

    Love, Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing this here...you provide interesting info... thanks again.
    movers and packers hyderabad

    ReplyDelete