Wednesday, July 25, 2012

I'm Coming Home...

Before leaving Bolivia, a friend made a list of things she will miss about Bolivia, as well as things she is excited to see and experience in the States. I thought it was a great idea, and a way to wrap up my time here.

It's difficult to write this because as excited as I am to go home and begin a new stage of my life--finding a job (Hopefully, this will happen soon), becoming a North American again, and eating every variety of food I missed in Bolivia--I will miss the land-locked country, and especially the wonderful kids I have worked with. I probably have said this more than 5 times a day recently, but I really wish I could be in two places at once.

Below is a very short, succinct list of things I will miss about living in Bolivia:

  • First and foremost, the Children, the Tias, and the Staff of Ninos con Valor--they have all brought so much love and joy, laughter and enlightenment to my life. I will never forgot the amazing memories I shared with them--hiking in the Andes Mountains, laughing until I cried, sleepovers and movie time, putting the kids to sleep, carnival days, amazing hugs and kisses...I could go on forever. But, these very important people are what made my Bolivian experience so wonderful and life changing. 
  • The amazing fruits and vegetables. Now, I know most people don't eat this type of food while in a third-world country, but I just couldn't help myself! The very sweet, succulent flavors will remain on my taste buds forever. 
  • Celebrating birthdays with the kids is always fun, especially all the traditions, including getting the first, big bite of your cake! 
  • The Cancha (The huge outdoor market). You can buy anything and everything, and every time I go, it's a new adventure, which usually means getting lost and wandering around until I find myself in a familiar area. 
  • Fresh-squeezed orange juice on the streets, and yes, it's parasite free and amazing! 
  • The wonderful friends I have met while here, and the amazingly hilarious times, including riding in the back of pick-up trucks at 2 AM and climbing into dump trucks to visit small communities in the mountains, terrace nights with beers and cacho (A typical Bolivian dice game) and nights spent at Casablance, Na Cunna, and Fragmentos. 
  • The public transportation system--it's cheap, easy, and amazingly convenient! 
  • The beautiful, green parks and plazas where you can sit and chat, or play and run with the kids. 
  • Traveling and exploring the beautiful, diverse, culturally rich country of Bolivia! I greatly enjoyed visiting the different departments--from jungly, humid Santa Cruz to cold, mountainous La Paz! 
  • Taking pictures of every little thing to ensure I won't forget what it looked like, what I felt like when I saw it...Pictures for me are a way to continue living a memory--a hug from one of the kids, paragliding in the Andes Mountains, a exotic new food like tongue, dancing traditional Bolivian dances....
This is an extremely condensed version of everything I will miss, but some of the most important things. 

These are the things I am excited about and looking forward to once I hit the ground in Miami: 

  • Hugging, catching up, and spending time with family and friends I have missed so much! I can't wait to hear stories from the time I have bee gone, and spend hours chatting. I can't wait to laugh and giggle with my friends! :)
  • Eating a variety of foods not found in Bolivia--Thai, Indian, really good Chinese, amazing Mexican, good Italian food, sandwiches (Especially from Genova's), and North American breakfast food. Oh my! 
  • Finding a job I am passionate about, which hopefully, happens sooner than later. Because of my time working with NCV, I want to give children a voice, especially those who have been abused and neglected, abandoned and forgotten about. 
  • Hot showers that have good water pressure! In Bolivia, the pressure is absolutely horrible, and it takes about 20 minutes to get the shampoo out of my hair. 
  • Being able to drink tap water, especially since the water in the Bay Area is from the Gods--It's amazingly delicious! NO MORE BOILING WATER! :)
  • Being able to eat fruits and vegetables raw and without cleaning them with chemicals and boiled water. 
It is very strange that this is my last Bolivian blog post. But, I know there will be more in the future.

In a little over 24 hours, I will be in Miami, filled with mixed emotions--yearning to be heading back to South America, but overjoyed and excited to be boarding a plane to California. I may not be able to see the kids everyday, but their smiles and laughter are burned into my memory, my heart, and my soul, and I will see them in my dreams. It will be impossible to erase these wonderful memories or forget the little faces that greeted and bid me farewell with hugs and kisses. 

Oh, Bolivia, you are a special, magical place, and you, along with the children of Ninos con Valor will hold my heart forever.

Until next time, Chao, Bolivia, and chao ninos! Van a estar en mi corazon por siempre. 

1 comment: