Sunday, February 27, 2011

Sad Goodbyes

Yesterday I realized that you never know how much you mean to someone, and how much other people mean to you. I know I have come to care and love the kids I work with and the people I have met in Bolivia but, having to say goodbye really puts things into perspective.

Yesterday, after a busy morning in the Cancha with a team visiting from Canada, the Ninos con Valor family had to say goodbye to Camila, a resident of more than four years. Camila just celebrated her quinceanera, which was quite a blast. I got to know her well over the past months, and will miss her terribly! Camila's departure came as a huge surprise, and the foundation was only given a few hours warning. After a morning trip to the market, we ate lunch, made cards, and threw a despedida (goodbye party) for Camila. It was so hard to say goodbye, as most of the staff, volunteers, and girls were crying. I think that lack of warning and shock of her departure affected everyone deeply. Camila will be missed, and Corazon del Pastor will not be the same without her beautiful, smiling face.

This morning, after a large lunch of chicken and chuno (my favorite type of potato in Bolivia), salad and choclo (corn), I had to say goodbye to my family. It was a tough goodbye because only my sister, Bana, was there. My mom woke me up early this morning to say goodbye, which did not really register in my sleepy, groggy state. After eating together, Bana and I moved all my bags to the porch. As we embraced and said goodbye, Bana began to cry, which made me tear up. As the taxi pulled away, she stood and watched. We both were left crying.

Saying goodbye is one of the hardest things to do. Saying goodbye to Camila was like saying goodbye to a little sister, and knowing I will probably never see her again made it worse. But, even saying goodbye to my host family, who live 10 minutes from me, was like saying goodbye to my real family. As Bana began to cry, I realized that I had no idea how much she cared for me, and I felt so glad to be a part of her life.

I will cherish the moments spent both with Camila and my family. Watching "Caso Cerrado," a show similar to Judge Judy and our Singani night, our dinner table conversations and playing with the dogs will remain some of my favorite memories with the Mamani-Siles family. Playing Uno and soccer, getting ready for celebrations and chatting, doing division and setting the tables for lunch and dinner were frequent activities with Camila.

I will miss both Camila and my host family so much! My heart aches when I think about Camila, but I hope for a positive future with love and caring for her. She will never know how much she, as well as the other children, have changed my life! I will definitely visit my host family from time to time, and have more Singani nights with Bana.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Megs--I so much enjoyed your observations about "missing" those who are no longer part of our lives. The loss of Camila is heartbreaking and just one of the countless stories of the rights of young people being ignored. In Bolivia, in the US, on every continent on Earth, the rights of children are ignored. It is a tragedy. A fifteen-year-old girl should have the right to determine her own destiny and make her own decisions. That adults and family members can abandon children, abuse children, and neglect children, and later return to lay claim to those same young people is a tragedy in any country. It is an issue that needs to be explored and exposed by some young writer--if I can think of one, I'll let you know. I am so proud of you and and of the incredible job you are doing. (Yes, you are doing a job, a great job.) Facing birthday number 60, I need you to know that you have been my greatest gift. With love, peace, and gratitude, Dad

    ReplyDelete