Wednesday, February 9, 2011

A Sad Reality

The harsh poverty and huge disparity between classes in Bolivia has affected me more than normal lately. As I travel by bus and taxi-trufi, I see young mothers sitting on corners with the saddest, most lonely expressions; I see kids begging in the streets, while their parents stand at a distance; I see young kids between the ages of 6 and 20 huffing glue to numb their feelings of deep hunger and cold; I see old women bent over from carrying vegetables and fruit, babies and beauty products in theiraguayos to sell for a few Bolivians at the major markets; I see people with looks of desperation and fear, defeat and hurt, loneliness and heartbreak painted on their faces.

I had a very interesting discussion with my favorite revolutionary teacher today. I explained, to the best of my Spanish ability, that I was raised Catholic and believe in Catholic Social Teachings and Liberation Theology, but have had and continue to have problems with some of the norms and beliefs of the Church. She commented that she has problems with not only the Catholic religion, but religion in general. She believes that, especially in Latin America, people attribute their strength and accomplishments to God and his power. However, the people throughout these countries have fought tooth and nail, aggressively, passionately for liberation and equality. Many attribute their victories to God, but in reality, the passion of their need for a better tomorrow was the culprit. My teacher explained that just living here is a struggle, and many Bolivians pray tomake it through, but only they can fight for change.

I feel that each day in Cochabamba, Bolivia is full of surprises and learning, and of course fun adventures. In a bit Megan, Samantha, and I are on a hunt for cake, ice cream, and delicious coffee. The cravings never seem to end, but the experience is what I am after.

I am currently reading Paulo Coelho´s The Alchemist in Spanish. Coelho writes that the journey is just as important as the goal you are trying to reach.

1 comment:

  1. Dearest Megs--It was great to read your Blog...I am so looking forward to seeing you in LaPaz. Maybe we can have lunch with Evo. I don't tell you often enough how proud I am of all you have accomplished. You have touched the lives of so many children and have brought them so much joy. I am looking forward to visiting the youngsters at Ninos and seeing the impact you have on their lives. i just got the movie you suggested--The Devil's Miner. I hope I can show it to the Kids. We watched CNN at school today hoping Mubarak would resign. He won't leave until he has stolen every coin from Egypt. According to MSNBC, the Egyptian leader has taken from 50 to 70 billion dollars from the Egyptian people. We have had way too much sun this winter--we need more rain. The current forecast calls for rain on Monday. Hope to see you on Skype soon. I miss you. Spring training starts next Monday--Go Giants. Love, Dad

    ReplyDelete