Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Manuel




The last couple of days have been pretty easy going because I have been sick and feeling pretty badly. But, I feel like I am starting to get better...knock on wood. Last night I spent a lot of time with the older girls and we painted our finger nails, talked, and played games. Slowly, I am becoming closer to the older girls! Today was my day off and we had our weekly volunteer meeting, and then Carol and I went downtown, had lunch, and walked around. I saw pop rocks for the first time, and bought some for each of the girls to try!

I am so excited about my upcoming trip to La Paz and Lake Titicaca! Dan used to live in La Paz, and he was telling me all the places to go during our meeting today. It sounds like an amazing city because it is very metropolitan, but also very indigenous. It is a mix of cultures. Also, La Paz, as Dan described, is like a sink. The city of La Paz is sunken, and the outskirts and the airport are the counter. He says the views are amazing from El Alto and the area around the airport. But, because it is over 13,000 feet, it is difficult to climb. But, I am going to attempt to get as far up as possible to see the views! Cochabamba has a lot of people who are Quechua, but La Paz has Aymara! I am extremely excited to learn more about the Aymara culture and history, but also to hear the language! While in La Paz, I want to visit the Cocoa Museum and wander around and get "lost." It should be an adventure!

The reason this post is entitled Manuel is because I want to share stories about each kid I come in contact with and get to know! Manuel is a little boy at Pedacito del Cielo. But, he and I have come to be good friends. When I get to the guarderia he will come up and hug my legs, and say "Hola, Tia." He has a lot of energy, but he is such an amazing kid. And, he has the best laugh! I want to record it, so everyone can hear his crazy laugh!

When I first started working at Pedacito, Manuel was one of the more standoffish kids. But, now he comes and sits in my lap. And, he loves when you tickle him, pick him up, and rub his back. Last night when I was helping to put the kids to bed, I was assigned to his room. He has this HUGE crib that he has figured out how to somehow get out of. I can barely lift him into his crib. But, last night I was rubbing his back trying to get him to sleep. And, he reached out and grabbed my hand. He held my hand until he went to sleep. At one point, I had to go rub the back of another little girl in the room who was making a lot of noise. Manuel sat up and waited until I came back to his crib. He grabbed my hand and laid down.

Moments like this really put things into perspective. I came down to Bolivia to give love and attention to kids, which means holding their hands while they fall asleep. I really cannot put into words what I felt last night, but it made me so happy! I am glad that I have built a bond with Manuel and the other kids at the home. It is quite an amazing feeling. Last night I was thinking how sad it will be to leave these kids in December, but I guess I have to appreciate and be thankful for the time I have gotten to spend with each one of them!

1 comment: