Sunday, July 11, 2010

The Road Less Traveled

This week has been a little crazy, with no time to update. So, this post will cover many days! Unfortunately, I am currently sick with a sinus infection! It has been nice because today is my day off, so I have gotten to rest and take it easy.

During our volunteer meeting on Tuesday, Dan, Jenna, Carol, and I discussed our definition of service and missionary work, and whether it has changed or altered since we arrived in Cochabamba. I felt like i had a clear sense of service and mission before I came to Bolivia, but now I do not have a definition, and everyday my idea of mission changes. I thought coming here that missioin was very hands on and full of action. But, I have come to find out that a big part of mission work inculdes being present with the people. Sitting with one of the girls while she does her homework, eatting dinner with the girls, holding a baby. And, mission, in my opinion, includes the discovery of the culture and the history of a country. So, traveling throughout Bolivia, and even within Cochabamba is mission work. I have met so many fascinating people along the way--it is really amazing!

After our small volunteer meeting, we went to the big, collaborative meeting with all the Maryknoll priests, brothers, sisters, and volunteers. Dan, our program director, introduced Carol and I, and told everyone about the work we will be doing during our time in Bolivia. We split up into small groups and talked about the work everyone was a part of. Some of the sisters and priests have been here for 40 years! And, many work in some of the poorest areas in the south. It is incredible to hear stories about their time in Bolivia, and how things have changed. We gave a blessing to Jenna and another priest, who are both returning home. Jenna spent a year here in Cochabamba, and I am so sad that I was here for the very end of her trip! She is an amazing young woman who truly exemplifies a missionary. She got to know many of the Bolivians in her barrio very well. She worked at a school and with elderly people, and she is extremely caring. She will be missed down here! After, we had Chinese food that was just amazing. I thought I would never try Chinese food in another country after our very interesting experience with Chinese food in Mexico. But, this was so good! And, Chinese food is definitely one of my favorite foods!

Wednesday was my day off! But, it is definitely hard to sleep in when girls are screaming and laughing. So, I got up, got ready, and played with a few of the girls for a little bit. I also cleaned my room--dusted a few things, swept my floors, and tidied things up. I was proud of myself! I went to Maryknoll a little early to upload pictures and chat with mom and dad. There is a weekly "charla" at Maryknoll where speakers from all over come and talk about different topics--the culture, the politics, the history of Bolivia, spirituality, etc. This week the charla was about the spirit of missionary work. Through our work, we experience a revolution (a radical change of attitudes and behavior), an evolution (a development of new attitudes and behavior), and fianlly a revelation (a divine manifestation that liberates us from within). It was very interesting because I think that as a volunteer, I am currently experiencing this process. After the charla, I went to dinner with some of the other volunteers and students that attened the talk. We went to Sole Mio, an Italian favorite here in Cochabamba!

We had a meeting for all volunteers working with Ninos con Valor on Wednesday night a Tyson and Carolina's house. They have a beautiful house, not too far from the girls' home. Carolina and I bonded over the paintings by and of Frida that hung in their house. There were six of us there, and we all shared why we came down to Cochabamba and what the challenges for us have been so far. It is hard to put into words exactly why you go somewhere to volunteer. And, all the volunteers mentioned our Spanish being a challenge. Although my Spanish has definitely improved, it is hard to sometimes express exactly what I mean, or describe things perfectly. It was really nice to get together and talk about our experiences and get to know the other volunteers outside of work.

Thursday was an exhausting day! We took the girls to a huge park with tons of activities--swings, slides, an aquarium, waterslides, etc. The girls had an amazing time, and I got some really great pictures of them exploring and playing. We split up into groups to explore the park in the morning. I had Jhoselin, Joana, Evelyn, and Vanesa, and they wanted to see everything! We went to the aquarium and saw all the fish, frogs, and turtles. And, they eve got to feed the fish! I had an amazing time watching them have tons of fun! Around 12 we had a picnic--baked chicken, okra, potatoes, and vegetable salad. Bolivians really know how to picnic! After lunch, I played soccer and volleyball with a few of the girls. We had a big soccer game, and the winners got oranges as a prize! We headed back to the house around four. The girls relaxed a little, then Vanesa, Elena, Ana, and I had a dance session. It was funny to see them dancing and laughing because usually, Julia and Karla are more reserved and quiet. We had quinoa soup for dinner, which was delicious! And, after dinner I was shower supervisor. After facilitating the showers, Tia Celia told me to go relax because it had been a long day.

On Friday morning I went with the girls to their vacation classes to get pictures of them for Kimberly. It was so great to see them doing art and interacting outside of the house. Angela's class was how to make art out of newspaper, and she made some really cool things! Evelyn, Cynthia, Jhoselin, and Joana took a singing class, and Diana, Mariela, Paty, Kattia, and Karina took a class on making things out of foam. After taking a few pictures, I went to Pedacito, the baby home. Most of the kids are sick, so I am pretty sure I got my infection from them. But, there was a lot of fussing and crying beccause all the babies were under the weather. After they ate snack, there was classroom time outside. I took pictures of Tia Evelin working with the kids on their names. We had lunch and I helped put the kids to bed.

I met Carol at the Post Office so we could go to the Cancha. We went to the Artesian section and I could buy so much stuff there! There are amazing statues and jewelry, shirts and cups, etc. After a few hours at the Cancha buying things and exploring, we went to Cafe Paris in the main plaza. We both had delicious crepes! The latte was also very good. People sat in the cafe for hours just talking. I took the bus home and there was a group of North Americans who were in Cochabamba for a week on a mission trip. They were screaming on the bus and yelling, "cracker packer." I was really embarassed to be American because all the Bolivians were just looking at them. That instance made me realize how differnt our cultures really are.

When I got home the girls wanted to play some games for prizes. I had some chocolate and lollipops saved so the younger girls played Bingo, and the older girls played Uno. It was so fun! I am really starting to get to know each of the girls well.

Yesterday, Saturday, I woke up feeling so sick! My throat hurt and I was sao congested. But, I had to get up in time to be at Pedacito by 9. We can take one girl with us to the guarderia on the weekend, and Adriana wanted to go. So, we took the bus together and went to Pedacito. It was nice to spend one-on-one time with Lizeth, I feel like I got to know her a little better. It was a little crazy because there is always one nurse at the baby home during the day and she did not show up. So, it was a challenge. I had to get the younger ones ready for nap after lunch and it was so hard! I had to change their diapers and brush their teeth. It was difficult because I could only help one kid at a time, and the other ones needed help. But, I survived!

When Adriana and I got back to the girls' home, some of the girls were watching a movie and some were finishing homework for school, which starts up tomorrow. I helped Jhoselin with her homework. She had to pick the articles, nouns, adjectives, and verbs out of sentences. I was proud of myself because I could describe what each was to her! Then, I helped Cynthia with her division homework, read, packed, and headed to the Recoleta to meet Carol for dinner. We went to Chifa Lai-Lai, a Chinese food restaurant. We had so much food and beer for under $10 each! It was a great dinner. We taxied back to the volunteer house in the South, where Carol lives. We went to bed pretty early because we were going to an early mass in the far south of Cochabamba.

We had to wake up at 5:30 this morning to get ready, walk to the taxi-trufi, and be at Pancho's house by 6:45. Pancho is a Maryknoll priest who lives in the South and does mass for the people there, and also helps run a school. He is a really nice, funny guy, who is from Kentucky and speaks Spanish with this heavy southern accent. However, we were late, and Pancho left without us. So, Carol and I were trying to figure out how to take a taxi-trufi up to the "church." We were pretty lost, so Pancho sent a member of his parish down to pick us up.

The mass is held in this community center that is still being built. The seats are stools and 2 benches and the ground is dirt. But, everyone who attended the mass was so warm and friendly. Most of the people in this community speak Quechua and some Spanish. This area is very different than the city, so I was glad I got to experience the heart of the Southern Zone. We walked around for a little bit. The main street has 2 restaurants and a few small tiendas. After a little exploring, Carol and I taxi-trufied back. I did not feel good, so I took a nap. We were supposed to watch the World Cup Final in a plaza where they show the game on a big screen, but both of us are not feeling too good. So, we stayed at the houe to relax and sleep.

This week will be busy, and I hope I get better soon! On Friday, I am leaving for Lake Titicaca and La Paz. I am going for the first two nights with students from the Language Institute, and then I am staying in the Maryknoll Center in La Paz for 3 extra nights by myself to explore. I am so looking forward to this adventure!

I miss everyone so much! Happy Birthday, Mom! Yes, today is my mom's birthday! Sending all my love!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Megs--Our telephone conversation today brought me some good luck. (I had told you during our chat that I thought you had taken my gambling luck with you to Bolivia.) After we hung up the phone (or whatever you do with a cell phone) I went across the street to Harrah's and hit $40 and $500 jackpots! Best of all, I didn't put it back. I have enjoyed your Blogs so much. I think I caught all your ailments and will have to call Dr. Strauss tomorrow. I hope he doesn't make me come in because I have summer school and so much else to do. All the kids at school say hi and they miss you incredibly. I'll write again soon. The Giants are winning again. Take care, please. I worry all the time. Miss you so much. Love, Dad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Megs, It was so nice to talk to you today. Hearing your voice was the best birthday present. I miss you so much and can't wait to visit you in Bolivia. You are doing such amazing things and the children are so lucky to have you in their lives. Renita's aunt and granny said, "you were an amazing young lady who will always be blessed because of what you are doing. Not too many people your age would do what you have chosen to do and be as caring and loving with the children." Dad and I are very proud of you. Take care of yourself and especially your sinuses - I worry about you. Love you, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Megan, I love that you are meeting such wonderful people and of course the children. I am so sorry that we American have to be so crude and rude. Thank God you are not one of them. Just remember that you are giving the Bolivian people a good image of American people. Sorry you are feeling so very sick. Be sure to take care of yourself. Do not get too tired to where it is hard to get yourself back up and well. Drink lots of fluid and rest. The mass you attended in the South sounded like a real experience of the people. I love the simpleness of the center you described. I hope you get pictures of all the churches. Those will be something I would love to see. Know I love you and GET BETTER! Love you, A. Nance

    ReplyDelete