Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Extra! Extra!

Since I haven't written an update in a while, I thought I probably should. Since being back, things have been busy, but good! There is a lot going on at work--weekly prayer mail to write; monthly newsletters; photos to take for grants, the newsletter, and for sponsors; arts and crafts to organize; getting ready and organized to move the baby home; and of course, spending time with the kids (my favorite part!).

For the last few weeks, it has been winter vacation, so all the girls have been home and a few of the kids at Pedacito who attend school have had time off. There have been lots of trips to the park to play soccer, vacation classes, watching movies, and cleaning. Last Saturday while working at CdP (the girls' home), we made bracelets, rings, and necklaces, which the girls really enjoyed and are hoping to do again soon! Last week, we took a trip to a local park that has two huge slides and I have never seen the girls move so fast. Before we had time to put everything down, they were all running up the stairs to fly down the slides! It was so fun watching them relax and enjoy themselves! The older girls were helping the younger girls slide down without being afraid, which was wonderful to see the bonds then girls have created, even though they are not blood sisters. And, this Thursday, along with another tia, I am going to the Chino y Nacho concert with six of the older girls. (Chino y Nacho are a Venezuelan reggaeton duo and they are super popular in Latin America.) In order to attend the concert, the girls had to make 50 bolivianos doing chores at home and at Pedacito de Cielo (the baby home). This is the girls' first concert, and they are so excited--counting down the days and listening to the duo's music. So, winter break has been packed with activities and fun outings.

Pedacito has been relatively normal--art projects and practicing the alphabet, the numbers, the colors, and the names of animals. And, since the weather has warmed up a little during the day, we have had plenty of fun time outside in the yard and at the park. In less than three weeks, the three girls who live at Pedacito will move to Corazon and the new location of Pedacito will function as an all boys' home. So, the transition of the three girls to Corazon has been happening slowly with visits to Corazon during the week.

As for myself, it has been great being back and spending time with the other volunteers. We went to a beer festival last weekend, which was fun, but very different than a beer fest at home. There was beer made from quinoa, wheat, and amaranth. And, my favorite beers were the Chala and Nesta (with the accent over the n, Quechua for Queen) by Ted's Cerveceria located in Sucre, Bolivia! The Chala had a very orangey flavor and the Nesta had 8.5% alcohol and was amazingly delicious! I have taken a few trips to the Cancha for pillows, sheets, and a festive Christmas sweater for a Holiday Party this coming weekend! (It is Winter here and has been pretty cold, hence the Christmas/Holiday theme party!) During the past couple of weeks, I have had a bacterial eye infection and a weird finger infection. I saw a great opthamologist who prescribed a gel to rid me of my eyw infection, and a pediatrician who said my finger infection was serious and prescribed 2 oral antibiotics and a topical cream! And, I'm also fighting a cold, which I picked-up from the kids, who are struggling to overcome colds and coughs. So, I haven't been so healthy, but I (knock on wood) have not contracted parasites or amoebas, which is a big deal for me!

I miss everyone so much! I think of you all often!

Sending tons of love from Cochabamba!

2 comments:

  1. Please get better! and keep up the stellar blogging I'm loving it

    ReplyDelete
  2. Megs--

    I missed you during the All-Star game tonight. The Giants who played did pretty well. San Francisco is still in first place despite the not-so-stellar offense. We need to trade for hitters! Mom and I are still hoping to make next week's Dodger game if her chemo goes well. We miss you so.
    Love, Dad

    ReplyDelete