Friday, June 18, 2010

Bolivia!

Oh, Bolivia! I am becoming more acquainted with Cochabamba, and am becoming more adjusted to life here. I don´t think it has hit me that I am here for six months. It feels like I have been here for about a month, but it hasn´t even been a week! I am learning more about the lives of the babies and the girls previous to becoming residents of Corazon del Pastor (girls´ home) and Pedacito del Cielo (Infant home). I am also learning a lot about myself. I am doing things I never thought I would do, including eating yogurt, killing spiders, and checking my bed, shoes, and clothes every morning and night for scorpions and tarantuals.

Yesterday was one of the more difficult days since arriving in Bolivia. I woke up, got ready and took Nohemi to Pedacito. I had to go directly back to the house to help out. Back at the girls home, I helped Sofia (a 13 year-old resident, who has 5 siblings all spread around Bolivia) cut tomatoes and cucumbers for lunch. I enjoyed helping because I got to know her. She is very sweet, but also very shy. She is starting to come out of her shell around me. Sofia also put me to shame in the kitchen! In the amount of time it took me to peel about 3 cucumbers, she had done 12 or 15. My goal is to help out more in the kitchen and become a better cook. Maybe I can cook some Bolivian food for everyone when I return! For lunch we had Mexican Casserole, which is layers of tortillas, a bean mixture and cheese--it was delicious--and the cucumber and tomato salad.

After lunch I helped the girls with their homework. There was a big meeting for all the regualr employees of both homes. So, I had to watch 10 of the girls who have school in the morning and are home in the afternoon. It was very challenging because I had to keep them in their study room for about 3 hours. Many of the girls finished their homeowork, and wanted to play outside, but Tia Maritza told me they could not play outside because it would be too noisy and interrupt the meeting. So, I had to come up with games and projects to keep them occupied. It was also interesting helping them with their homework because their school system is much different than ours in the U.S. Each child only has school in the morning or the afternoon, and each day they have 1 or 2 core classes. And, even how they teach things is very different. And even their homework is structured differently.

After the meeting was over, I went with Kimberly to see how nights are at Pedacito. I helped with cena and getting the kids ready for bed. We brushed their teeth, bathed them, put on their PJs, and tucked them in. I rubbed their backs until they went to sleep. Around 8, Kimberly and I went downtown to an Irish Pub to relax and watch the basketball game, which was not relaxing. Emma, the owner of the pub, is from Ireland. She came to Bolivia 5 years ago to work with street kids here in Cochabamba. She didn´t want to leave, so she stayed and opened an Irish Pub with her Bolivian boyfriend. I met her, and she was extremely nice. She also speaks Spanish with an Irish accent! I met some of Kimberly´s friends, who are also from the U.S., and I got invited to more outtings with them, which is exciting! The night was fun, except for watching the game! What happened in the 4th quarter, Boston?!?!?!?! I was depresssed when I went home!

Today, I got up and worked the whole morning and part of the afternoon at Pedacito. I am already getting attached to the kids there! Victoria and I spent a lot of time talking and reading books. She is attached to this doll that is almost her size, and she throws the doll over her shoulder and carries it around. She, and her brother Marcos, have an interesting situation. Their parents come to visit them almost everyday. The parents brought Victoria and Marcos to Pedacito because they did not have enough money to properly care for them. Kimberly told me that another boy´s mom had recently died from HIV. When she brought him to Pedacito, she was so sick she couldn´t stand. Situations like this are devestating to children. Even though he is young, he knows something happened. He calls for his mom a lot, and he will never get to know her. His dad left the mom before she even had the baby. Many of the kids in both homes have stories comprable to this. It devestates me, but all I hope is that I can give them all the love, attention, and affection they need.

Well, tomorrow I am taking a city tour with the Maryknoll language students and a few volunteers. I am excited to see more of the city!

I miss everyone so much! I think about you all everyday!
Sending my love!


1 comment:

  1. Dear Megs-- I so much enjoy your comments and observations on Bolivia and wish I could be there to share your experiences. This week has been quite exhausting because I decided to really clean out the old seventh grade room at Northern Light. It will take me weeks to get everything either thrown out or filed. You won't recognize the place when you return! We're also trying to really clean out at home. This will be my great summer endeavor. We took a break tonight, went to Cache Creek and I hit a $275 dollar jackpot. (Don't ask how much your mother lost on the penny machines!) The Giants keep winning and are only a 1/2 game out of first place. I am really so proud of how much you are accomplishing in Bolivia. You are truly making a difference and that's the most important thing in life. Let us know if there is anything we can send to help your kids out--maybe art supplies or something like that? I would really like to do something that would help out. Please let me know. We are adopting another wolf at Wolfhaven--his name is London. Believe it or not, the oil is still pouring into the Gulf of Mexico. BP is now burning the oil off the water surface--resulting in much air pollution. 2012 can't come fast enough! Take care and I'll see you soon on the old computer (hopefully). I miss you so much. And Jazzy misses you, too. Love, Dad

    ReplyDelete