Saturday, June 12, 2010

Santa Cruz!

Yesterday, I left the San Francisco Airport at 1:30 and headed to Miami for a connecting flight to Santa Cruz, Bolivia. Our flight was a little late leaving, so I had to run through the Miami airport to ensure that I would not miss my flight to Santa Cruz!

During the flight, I sat next to eight-year-old Sabrina, who was going to visit her Grandpa in La Paz. She talked to me pretty much the whole way, told me I was one of her best friends, and fell asleep on my shoulder. My other neighbor was a 25 year old girl traveling to Santa Cruz with her church group to work with girls in a transitional home. She was nice, and even shared her snacks with me!

We stopped in La Paz, which is the highest capital city in the world! Many people on the plane got altitude sickness! A lady fainted in the aisle, a little boy was throwing up and needed oxygen, and a man in the front was very sick so we had to return to the gate so he could receive medical attention. So, our flight was delayed due to medical issues. The little bit I saw of La Paz, I would love to visit! The city is surrounded by huge snow-covered mountains! I think I need to get used to being in higher altitude, and then I will make the trip one of Bolivia's capital cities (the other is Sucre).

People have been extremely nice so far! Also, I have started speaking Spanish, which was intimidating because the accent and some of the words are different than the Spanish I learned in Mexico. But, I'm doing my best to keep up!

I miss everyone so much already, but now that I am in Bolivia, I am really looking forward to this adventure! I don't think it will be easy, but I think it will be an amazing learning experience! I can't wait to meet the kids I will be working with next week!

Sending all my love,
Megan

1 comment:

  1. Awww! Sabrina sounds so cute! You're going to get along so well with all the little Bolivian kiddos!!! I'm excited for you!

    ReplyDelete