Sunday, June 20, 2010

Las ninas del Corazon del Pastor...







Last night, I watched Pulgarcita, a Barbie movie about a fairy princess saving the environment, with the younger girls. They absolutely love Barbie! After the movie it was time for bed, which I was happy about! I was completely exhausted! Before I went to bed, I hung up some pictures to make my room feel more like home. I have also been journaling every night before bed about my daily experiences and activities. Journaling has really helped me to synthesize everything!

I woke up early to shower and get ready. Again, we had yogurt and oatmeal bars. I have to admit that the yogurt is growing on me, and after 6 months of it I will probably like it. The girls did some chores and their laundry. It was fascinating watching them all squat by huge buckets filled with water and scrub their clothes. They were all very good at it, and had a good time doing it. We were listening to music and talking. I decided to take pictures of the girls doing laundry, especially Kattia because she loves to make huge bubbles with the soap! (Below, I have posted some pictures of the girls!) We walked to get the micro to head to mass. However, today is the Andean New Year, and their was a festival downtown, so no micros came. So, we went home and the girls watched a movie and relaxed.

Andean New Year is a long practiced Indigenous tradition. People stay up all night and and have huge bonfires to ensure that the sun will rise. Once the sun begins to come up, people rejoice! It seems like an amazing ritual, but it is not practiced in the city. It occurs mostly in the campos and in the mountains, where majority of Indigenous people live.

My Spanish has already improved, so I am excited to see the results after six months! I love spending time with the girls! Each one of them has something unique to share. And, I feel like I am not sharing and giving them as much as they are sharing and giving to me. I feel like I have learned so much in a week about myself, about the Bolivian culture and history. I know this will be an absolutely amazing experience!

I have to get back to the house in time for cena. Tomorrow I will get my schedule, so I will know when I can skype, or ichat. So, I will let everyone know, and when you can chat let me know and I will be online!

Miss everyone, but I carry you all with me on this journey! Sending all my love and good thoughts!

4 comments:

  1. Dear Megs--Your pictures are incredibly beautiful; and your Blogs are wonderful. I'll try to make a copy and share them with your grandparents. I won't leave a long message tonight because mom is trying to schedule our flight for August 9th. I hope that is okay. Maybe we'll try to leave a little bit earlier. I was pulling for Tiger Woods to win the US Open at Pebble Beach, but McDonnel of No. Ireland won (I hope he is Catholic!), and Tiger came in 4th. I'll let you know when we get our tickets--miss you and love you tons. Dad (I borrowed your copy of Open Veins... See you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. my question is....what KIND of yogurt, like what flavor. I love reading your blog Megan and I am glad that you are making connection with others while discovering who u are on the inside....that's corny but i mean it. any ways headed to bed myself, later

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh sweet Megan, what beautiful children. I can see the gentle beauty in their eyes. I am amazed each time I read your words and realize how much you are doing to help others. I am so proud of you. Each day must seem like a miracle to you. These little ones I am sure are teaching you so very much about the true meaning of life and love. I am proud of you eating your yogurt daily. Just think of it as frozen yogurt. I am sure there is so many new adventures in store for you on this journey and you will be ready to greet each one. I really do miss you but reading your blog really makes me feel close to you as if I am sharing your experiences. We sure missed you at Lindsay and Darrins wedding. We had a wonderful time but you were missed for sure. I am thrilled that you were able to skype mom and dad. I know that meant so much to them. I hope to have that experience with you at some point. Keep up the great work and know we are all carrying you so close to our hearts. I love you so. Post more pictures when you can, such beautiful faces. Love you, A. Nance

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, we have had all different types of yogurt. Strawberry, Vanilla, Blackberry. I think I like strawberry the best!

    ReplyDelete