Sunday, June 27, 2010

To New Experiences....






After our meeting on Wednesday, Carol, Jenna, and I went to Casa de Campo, a restaurant in the Recoleta that serves very traditional Bolivian food. There were very traditional dishes like cow heart and tongue, but I opted for a chicken dish, which was amazing. It was a chicken breast in a delicious broth with potatoes, tomatoes, and onions. It was very good! It was really nice to spend time with the other volunteers--it gave us time to reflect on our work and talk about our experiences. When I got back to the girls' home after dinner, they were celebrating San Juan. San Juan is highly celebrated here in Bolivia. People have huge barbecues and bonfires where they roast hot dogs, which are not very common dish here. But, people stay up partying and shooting off fireworks all night. The girls had a barbecue and a dance party and dance competition. They dressed up and had so much fun! I love to watch them have fun because I think they have had times that they couldn't have fun and couldn't dance and be kids.

On Thursday, I worked at Pedacito from 9-2. I really enjoy working there because it is an amazing feeling to bring joy and make each of these kids smile. They are all so full of personality and spirit. I got some great pictures of them and have posted just a few on here, although it is hard to chose just a couple. When I was leaving Pedacito to head back to the girls' home, there was this huge parade that had something to do with the police and the military. It was so huge traffic was stopped, and it took me so long to get back home. So, I decided to get an empanada, which are so delicious! I could live on empanadas!

Back at the girls home, I helped some of the younger girls with their homework. I never thought I would help the girls with the multiplication and division homework in Spanish. It was difficult for me to find all the words I needed to explain the multiplication and division process to them, but it ended up working out. We had cena--some type of soup. Soup is a very typical cena item! After cena, I played Uno with some of the girls. Uno has become our nightly game, and I just bought candy as the premio (the prize)! The girls are very excited to play tonight! After a little Uno, I met up with Kimberly and Brianna at the Irish Pub, our regular Thursday night meeting place. I had one of the best White Russians I have ever had at the Irish Pub--I was impressed!

On Friday, I had to work at Pedacito again from 9-2. I got to go on a walk with the younger kids. It was so cute, and I even pushed Mateo, who is about 1, in his stroller. I got to hang out with Victoria a lot when we got back. She is just so great, and now gives me hugs and kisses! I love taking pictures of the babies because they get so excited and they have to see their picture, especially Victoria! Then, she says, "Oh, Victoria! es mi, es Leydi! Muy guapa!" She's just too cute!

When I got back to the girls house, April, another volunteer was there. She will be doing things with the older girls during their vacations. She is really nice, and a lot of the girls said we looked like twins or sisters. There was no homework to do since vacation started today for the girls, so I played red light, green light and volleyball with them.

Yesterday was my first Saturday working at Pedacito. It was more relaxed then during the week because there are less kids and less tias. We got to play more with the kids and I think they had more fun. We had really good lasagna for lunch! The Tia who cooks says she always likes to make good food on Saturdays, so I am glad I will be there for it! When I got back to the girls home, they were preparing for Julia's 12th birthday, which is today. I walked with Camila and Abigail to the nearby Liberia, stationary store, to get wrapping paper for her present. Then, I had to help the younger girls bath, which was quite an experience! It is very chaotic to help 10 girls shower and get dressed!

Last night there was a housewarming party for 2 volunteers. I went to their apartment downtown and had so much fun! Some Bolivians who were there taught us traditional dances and there were traditional drinks and food. It was also nice because I met a lot of the young volunteers who I have not had a chance to met yet. It was a great first Bolivian party!

Today I haven't really done much, but it has been nice. Sorry, this is another long post. I will try and keep them shorter. I am absolutely loving my time here, and have already experienced so much! My Spanish is improving.

Also, I am reading Little Bee, by Chris Cleave. It is a great book so far, and has many parallels to the kids and girls I work with here. It is about a young Nigerian girl who stows away on a container ship to come to England. She is found, and is put in a detention center for 2 years. But, Cleave writes, "A scar does not form on the dying. A scar means, I survived." He also writes, "Sad words are just another beauty. A sad story means the storyteller is alive." Many of the babies and girls have not only physical scars, but also emotional scars. However, they have endured and continue. They still know how to laugh and love, dance and sing. I am amazed by this everyday and am so thankful I get to work with such amazing kids! They have taught me so much!

2 comments:

  1. Hey Megs! You sound good. You are doing so much already and seem to have bonded with kids, coworkers and just about whoever you meet. I am so happy for you and proud of the way you put yourself out there and grow. What a special woman you are.
    Thanks for letting me (and others) know what you are
    doing. Life is good.
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Megs--I mailed your package from the Rheem post office today, and the postal workers were shocked to discover you can't send "priority mail" to Bolivia. Evidently, the US is miffed with our buddy Evo! Only Express packages can be sent to Bolivia. Because I was worried the package would exceed the weight limit, I couldn't include your surprise. I'll include that in the next package. Good news--the Rheem Theater is re-opening and it's remodeled. The Giants lost two of three games with the Red Sox over the weekend. I am so proud of all the wonderful things you are doing with the girls in Cochabamba--you are truly making a difference. Nina and Marley (and many of the fourth graders) sent their best wishes. We'll have to set up a time to Skype (with the kids) during summer school. When we visit in August, I'll bring my camera and take some pictures of you for my classroom. You can take a picture of mom and I chewing "coca" leaves at the Hotel Diplomat. I can hardly wait for August--it seems like such a long, long time away. The Blogs are wonderful. You can't imagine how many people are following your incredible journey. You got away just in time--it's starting to really heat up in old Moraga. Oh, by the way, Al Simas is still mad at you! Please take care of yourself and get some rest. I miss you incredibly. Love you--Dad.

    ReplyDelete