Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Pedacito: HIV home for infants and toddlers

I really cannot put into words how lucky I am to have the opportunity to live with these young girls. Last night, we played bingo for about 2 hours, and I got to know the girls,especially the older ones, much better. They are all fascinated by life in America. They ask tons of questions about the food, the music, the people, the weather. When it was time for bed, each girl gave me a hug and a kiss. I went to bed feeling like a proud Tia--proud moment two in Bolivia!

This morning I woke up because the girls were playing right outside my window. We had breakfast, granola and yogurt, which as most of you know, I am not a big yogurt fan. But, the girls have to finish their food, so I tried my best and ate most of it. After breakfast, I walked the younger girls to school (kindergarteners-2nd graders). Two of the girls, Karina and Kattia, held my hands the whole way. When we got to their school, I dropped them at the front, and received a hug and a kiss from each girl. I really felt like a mom! I almost cried!

Celia and Maritza, two of the tias, are taking English classes at one of the local universities. So, Celia and I made a deal--I help her with her English and she will help me with my Spanish! So, I helped her with her homework this morning, and we chatted in Spanish for a while. I went with Celia to drop Nohemi, a three-year-old living at the girls home, at the infant and toddler home. We took the Micro 9, a small bus that picks you up on your doorstep!

I will be spending part of the week at the infant and toddler home, Pedacito. majority of the kids at Pedacito have HIV or some other medical condition, so their immune systems are very fragile! One of the boys, has had numerous heart surgeries, and he is one of the only people to survive a specific operation he had last year.(This is the spirit that many of the Bolivians have--a fighting, undying spirit. They refuse to let the sadness, heartbreak, and poverty get to them! I respect so many Bolivians I have heard stories about!) I will be playing with them, and helping the older kids with their letters, colors, numbers, days of the week, months, seasons, etc. I will also help with the bathing, brushing teeth, changing, and putting the kids to sleep a few days a week.

The babies at Pedacito are very sweet! They love to be held and picked up! Kimberly, another woman who helps run Niños con Valor, works most of the time at Pedacito. She has been really inviting, and even invited me to the weekly Thrusday night meeting at the Irish Pub! She will be working with me closely to help make my transition as easy as possible. Almost five years ago, Kimberly bought a one way ticket to Bolivia and has been here ever since. She got connected with Niños about 2 years ago, and has permanently moved here to work with Carolina, Tyson, and the organization.

Well, I have to get back to the house. But, I am thinking about everyone! Sending my love!

5 comments:

  1. Mmmmmmm Megan, Irish Pub, weekly meetings...Um I am not sure I understand but loving your stories. Those sweet angels are really bringing out your loving spirit. Such heartache yet you are so right such fighting spirit. Ok, two days until Thursday's "Irish pub" meeting. Love you Tia Megan, like Mother Teresa aways said, you are doing "something beautiful for God"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Megs-- Sorry this note has taken so long to write, but I already wrote one and your mother "lost" it trying to send it to you in Bolivia. I must tell you it was quite an extraordinary, well-written message. I am trying desperately to remember what I wrote. Oh, Mondello's has closed and I am not sure I have anything to live for. I'll try to find out what happened and let you know. I am so proud of you after reading your Blog. You are truly making a difference and living out Schweitzer's philosophy. If you haven't already heard, the Celtics played poorly tonight and now face a game seven. I think Phil Jackson has taken over!
    Oil is still flooding into the gulf waters. I think Obama should get a lot tougher. Just think of it this way, if Arab terrorists poisoned the gulf waters there would be hell to pay. BP has committed an action much worse that any militant group. Treat them the same way. And they should have been dragged into court to face legal action. Your work sounds so rewarding. If there is anything an old, English-speaking teacher can do in Bolivia, please let me know. I am certainly ready to move on. And I am very serious. I miss you more than you can imagine. I spend a lot of time wondering, "What is Megs doing now?" It's always so good to hear your voice. Keep up the great work. Miss you and love you so much. Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Megs,

    I am sooo proud of you for eating yogurt and sending a good example to the girls. They are so lucky to have you in their lives.
    It has been nice to hear your voice and to read the blog to keep up with your everyday activities. Take care of yourself! This sounds like an amazing journey so far and I can't wait to read more and see pictures. Know everyone is thinking of you and sending their love. I love, miss you and very proud of you.

    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am reading everyday...I am happy to hear from you and very proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OK I just lost my note too. Something's wacky on here!!! I will copy as a precaution from here out! MEGAN!!! I have to stop reading your blog from work! You make me cry everytime! I am SO happy for you and SO proud of you! We all love you so much, feels like our hearts are in Bolivia!!!Bola and Dayo are at Art Camp this week and next. They are working on a project with Jesus as a subject, so do send pictures of the Cristo:) Ame is up at dimond park with femi, segun and yomi picking blackberries, wading in the creek and applying her lip balm!!!!That is the report I received moments ago via text! I am at work makin that dolla, dolla to support my clan! Please let us know what the girls need so we can send a care package. They sound simply amazing. What a beautiful experience you have manifested! My prayer is that my kids will grow to have a meaningFULL life like yours! You are a STAR!!!!!!!!!!! HUGS,
    Mama Jessica

    ReplyDelete