Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Micro Numero Nueve

Today was quite the day! I woke up, got ready, and again, ate my yogurt and granola, or at least attempted to. The younger girls headed to school, and we said our routine goodbyes, filled with lots of hugs and kisses. I had to take Nohemi to the other home, and I had to do it all by myself! I was pretty nervous, since I had only completed the journey once with Celia. But, I put my brave face on! Nohemi and I waited for the Micro numero 9 in front of our house. When I saw the Micro, I quickly stepped into the street to make sure it would stop. I put Nohemi in my lap, and off we went. I was nervous because I wasn't sure where to get off (there are no designated stops, you yell, "a la esquina," and the driver pulls over wherever you may be.) I saw we were getting near the stadium and yelled out, "a la esquina!" When we stepped off the bus, I was so proud of myself--I had survived my first bus ride alone! Proud moment number 3 in Bolivia!

I worked the morning and part of the afternoon at the infant and toddler home. I played and reviewed the colors and numbers (in Spanish) with the older kids. Then, we took the kids who can walk well on a hike around the neighborhood, or barrio. They did so well! I was scared though because there are no crosswalks or traffic lights here, so you just have to make a run for it across the street. So, we had to pick the kids up each time we crossed the street. We went to a little park with a fountain, and the kids had a blast running around and putting their hands in the fountain water.

I have fallen in love with Victoria! She is 2 and is a full time resident at the infant and toddler home! She is so sweet and always gives me big hugs when I arrive and before I leave. I played with her a lot today, and I was so excited because she remembered the color yellow, amarillo in Spanish! The organization is trying to find a home for all these kids, and I would absolutely love to adopt victoria, but there is a law that Americans cannot adopt Bolivian children. So, maybe sometime in the future this will change, but for now, sadly, Victoria will not be coming home with me. I will post pictures of all the kids soon so everyone can see how amazing and beautiful they are!

After working at the baby home, Carolina picked me up and brought me to the girls home. I had a meeting with Dan and Jenna about the week at the Maryknoll center, so I caught a taxi there. All the volunteers have a weekly meeting to check in and share our experiences. We talked about our three best moments of the week. After our meeting, Dan gave a talk to all the students of the language school and volunteers about Bolivia's history and culture. It would take me all night to write about what I learned, but Bolivia has a very interesting history, and the people have been through a lot. But, the message was that these people kept on fighting for change--for a better future and for their freedom! They have an undying spirit, which helps them work towards something better!

Well, I have to get back to the house. But, I miss everyone! I am sending my love! Go Boston!

3 comments:

  1. Oh My Sweet Megan, My heart dropped when you mentioned Leidy, I thought for sure she was our "Carmalita" and then my heart dropped further when you shared that they will not allow Americans to adopt. What is up with that...we have to get that law changed within the next six months. I am going to make sign right now to send to you to protest. I can't wait to see pictures of Leidy, no matter what, she will be my Carmalita. You did so well on the bus. I am so excited each time I read your stories. I feel like I can see it all happening. You did good, Megan. And eating your yogurt is very good. Can you request something else say an egg, oh wait you do not like eggs either do you? How about some rice with your yogurt, that might be good. You just keep working on it and I know you will love it soon. Just remember those little eyes are watching you. Now you be careful crossing those streets, we may need to send you a crossing guard sign as well. :) I am so pleased to hear that you meet with other volunteers weekly, what a great way to process your feelings and give and get support. This sounds like a wonderful program. Know I hold you close to my heart and in my prayers daily. Lincoln and Ake send their love as well...lol Can't wait for the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Megs, today's post really touched my heart - I, too, thought we had found Carmelita. You can't bring her home with you, but you can give her so much love while you are there. All the children are so lucky to have you in their lives even if it is only six months. You and the children are both going to benefit from this experience.
    Well, Carmelita cannot come home with you, but dad and I can always go there and give a home to her and others. Keep up the good work and spreading your love with all the children while you are there. Just be careful when out on your adventures.
    Love and miss you so much, but very happy for you. You are one brave and amazing young lady.
    Take care of youself, hugs and kisses - mom


    J

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww this trip sounds too good to be true for you! I am so happy for you, love! Post pics sooooooon!

    ReplyDelete