Monday, June 14, 2010

Tia Megan

Last night I had the hardest time sleeping. I think I was nervous and excited about moving into the girls home, and meeting all the ninas. Until last night, it hadn´t really hit me that I was temporarily living in a foreign country with kids who had suffered trauma and hurt, but wanted to be loved and accepted more than anything. I just hope I can give them the love and attnetion they all need.

This morning, I woke up and got ready for a full day. I met Dan in his office at the Maryknoll Language Institute. He gave me a tour of the language school-the student center, the place to come for wireless internet, the library, where I can take out any book, the quiet reading room, and the place to go to get bus or plane tickets for other trips within Bolivia.

Dan and I put all my luggage in his car, and headed to the girls home, where I will be living for the next six months. When we got to the home, I was greeted by the staff. Maritza, the head of the home, is an older lady, who is extremely warm and friendly. She already told me that she would like me to help her practice her English. There are 5 other women who work as tias also. They are younger, and nice, but I think it will take some time for them to really warm up to me.

Maritza showed me my room. It is a small room with two beds, so if you would like to come down for a visit, there is a bed waiting for you! :) I live in a smaller house in the back. The girls´ study room and art room are in the same building as my room. Carolina, the woman who started NiƱos con Valor with her husband, Tyson, gave me a tour of the home, and drove me to the baby home. I will be working part of the week at the girls home helping them with homework, cooking, and anything else they need. The rest of the week I will be working at the baby and infant home. Many of these kids are infected with HIV or have other health problems, such as heart disease, diabetes, etc. I will most likely be working with the infants in the evening giving them baths and putting them to bed.

After the quick tour of the baby´s home, I headed back to the girls home with Carolina. The younger girls were extremely friendly. They greeted me with hugs and kisses, and right away called me Tia Megan. The older girls, however, were more standoffish. Carolina told me that it takes some time to gain the older girls´trust, but soon they will be more warm and open. Some of the younger girls came into my room and asked me tons of questions: where I was from, what the flag of the US looked like, what my mom and dad were like, what colors everything was in the US, what I liked to do.... They are all very sweet, but have painful pasts, which you can tell. Paty and Diana sat by me at lunch and told me all about life at the home and all the things we should do while I am here. It was Karina's birthday today, and we had chocolate cake the older girls made her, and she got a baby doll, which she was so thrilled with. The littlest things make these girls so happy, and that is one thing that amazes me. I will never forget the huge smile on Karina's face as she opened her baby doll!

I am looking forward to my time at the home. I think I will begin to take less things for granted and learn to appreciate what I have and who is in my life. I almost started to cry when Diana, without hesitation, gave me a huge hug and kiss to welcome me. These are the moments that make me realize why I came to Bolivia!

Oh, another funny moment last night was watching the Laker-Boston game with Maryknoll priests and other volunteers! It was so great, something I have never experienced and cannot put into words. It was funny because everyone in that room is here for a reason, and all of us have people and places we miss at home. But, that is why we can come together and enjoy little moments, like watching a basketball game.

Missing everyone tons, and sending good vibes up North! I love you!

P.S.- Hoping Boston wins tomorrow!

3 comments:

  1. Megan love your blog and will read it diligently. I feel like I am right there with you. Can't wait to see photos of the girls. Such a wonderful adventure. Love you so. A. Nance

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man! these are so fun to read. i can't wait to hear everything else that happens! What ages are the older kids there?

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have 21 girls in the home. The youngest is 3 and the oldest is 15, so a variety of ages! I miss everyone!

    ReplyDelete