Sunday, June 13, 2010

Cochabamba!

I finally made it to Cochabamba safely! Dan, the director of the program, and Jenna, another volunteer, met me at the airport. They decided to take me out to dinner for my first meal in Cochabamba. We went to Sole Mio, an Italian restaurant owned by a family who came to Bolivia to adopt a child. The process took so long that they ened up opening a restaurant that is now very famous throughout Cochabamba and neighboring towns and cities. It was very good, and I tried Jugo de Tumbo (Tumbo juice), which is a member of the passion fruit family, but it has no name in English apparently. The juice was probably my favorite part of the meal!

After dinner, Dan, Jenna, and I drove around the city a little. I got to see the big Cristo on the hill, which is very similar to the Cristo in Rio de Janiero, but the one here is a little bigger, and less famous! I also saw where I will be working and the neighborhood around the orphange.

After our city exploration, Dan took me to the Maryknoll house, where I satyed last night and where I will be staying tonight. I have my own room with a bathroom and a desk. It´s very nice at the Maryknoll center! I was very proud of myself because, as many of you know, I am very afraid of spiders, and there was one by my bed last night, and I killed it all by myself. I know it´s bad to kill spiders, but I would not have been able to sleep if I had let it life. So, proud moment number 1 in Bolivia!

This morning I was awoken by loud music on the street. Apparently, there was some sort of celebration near the Maryknoll Center. I got ready, and had lunch with 4 Maryknoll priests. Lunch was delicious--soup that was sooooooooooo good, barbecued chicken, rice, some kind of salas with cabbage, tomoatoes, onions, and dressing. Dessert was Mocha ice cream with chocolate sauce, so I have been eatting very well!

After lunch, I went for a walk to see the city and get acquainted with the area. I walked for quite a while, and found a supermarket where lots of American and European products are sold. Now, here I am, in an internet place, updating everything. Tonight I am going to a street festival downtown with Jenna. It should be fun, and I will tke pictures! Tomorrow I am moving to the orphanage, so I will get to meet the kids! I hope to post pictures soon!

Miss everyone so much, hope all is well! I feel like I have been gone for so long already, but it has only been a few days!

Sending all my love!

1 comment:

  1. I'm proud of you for handling the spider. :) Better than the Camp Arroyo mouse. ;)

    ReplyDelete